SACRAMENTO – Senate Republican Leader Shannon Grove (R-Bakersfield) has introduced an amendment to Assembly Bill 5 that would offer parity across the board and protect independent contractors. Legislative Democrats are advocating for AB 5 which is a measure that will harm tens of thousands of independent contractors by making it difficult for them to keep their employment status. Furthermore, AB 5 offers carve-outs to some industries that employ independent contractors and excludes others.
If Senator Grove’s amendment is defeated, members of the California Senate Republican Caucus have offered additional amendments to protect independent contractors. Those additional amendments will cover industries such as franchisees, newspapers distributors, physical therapists, and many others that are excluded from AB 5. (See full list below).
Senator Grove released the following statement:
“Senate Republicans are committed to helping those working individuals who need the freedom and flexibility of independent contracting work. Legislative Democrats have excluded multiple industries that employ tens of thousands of hardworking independent contractors who may no longer be able to pursue their career of choice.
“Single mothers and students who choose to be independent contractors are going to lose their freedom of choice that allows them to work when they can. Hardworking Californians will suffer because of the Democrats’ onerous legislation,” said Senate Republican Leader Shannon Grove.
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has released a letter in opposition of AB 5 stating that “the bill as written threatens to undermine longstanding business relationships…”
Senate Republicans’ Amendments include the following industries:
- Healthcare facilities include companies that employed healthcare providers such as skilled nursing facilities.
- Design industry includes landscape architects, geologists, geophysicists, veterinarians, accountants, land surveyors, and others.
- Franchisors and franchisees of Cinnabon, IHOP; Pizza Hut; Marriott; KFC, Jack in the Box; Taco Bell and others.
- Physical therapists
- Interpreters and translators
- Motor Clubs such as the American Automobile Association (AAA).
- Newspapers carriers and distributors
- Single-truck owner-operators
- Forestry industry such as engineers, licensed timber operators, and others.